The solution to help keep cybercriminals out of Kiwi homes is available for immediate purchase at Harvey Norman
Today, Norton by Symantec (NASDAQ: SYMC) is proud to announce that Norton Core is available for immediate purchase in New Zealand at Harvey Norman. Responding to the rapid uptake of Internet of Things (IoT) devices in the home and the cybersecurity vulnerabilities they present, Norton Core is a high-performance, high-speed Wi-Fi router that makes digital security the primary feature.
Built from the ground up with security in mind and leveraging Symantec’s decades of experience in cybersecurity, Norton Core employs multiple layers of defense to help keep hackers out while simultaneously protecting users’ data and their connected devices on their home network.
Internet-connected households need a digital safety solution to protect their networks and the connected devices powering their homes. IoT devices are quickly becoming preferred targets of cybercriminals. Symantec’s Internet Security Threat Report Volume 23 reported a 600 percent increase worldwide in IoT attacks in 2017 alone and more than one million Kiwis were affected by cybercrime in the same year . Routers and devices with routing capabilities were the most targeted IoT devices, accounting for nearly half (47.1%) of the IoT attacks according to the 2018 ISTR. Recently, the VPNFilter malware infected more than half a million routers in more than 50 countries allowing attackers to snoop on the user’s web traffic, perform man-in-the-middle (MitM) attacks, collect login credentials and other sensitive information from the user’s Wi-Fi network, and even brick the router rendering it useless.
Norton Core was designed to defend against these cyber threats and the others targeting home networks. Since releasing in the United States in 2017, Norton Core has blocked over 90 million threats.
“Smart TVs, routers, connected alarms, locks, baby monitors and other internet of things devices all make life easier — but they also represent new vulnerabilities because their design lacks basic safeguards,” said Mark Gorrie, Senior Director, Norton Consumer Business Unit, Symantec Pacific Region. “The router manages the internet traffic going to and from all the devices. It may in fact be one of the most important pieces of digital equipment in your home, but it may also be the weakest link in your digital security chain. Norton Core is an investment for peace of mind when it comes to digital safety for the whole family.”
Norton Core helps protects home networks – and the devices connected to it, including computers and mobile devices – from malware, viruses, hackers, and cybercriminals. The innovative router offers customisable parental controls to allow parents the flexibility to set parameters that work for their family. Daily screen time limits for each child, filters for accessible content, and an internet pause button are some of the features parents can use to support a harmonious household.
Designed in the form of a geodesic dome and inspired by defense and weather radars deployed in the extreme reaches of the globe, Norton Core’s unique mathematical design encourages users to place it out in the open, as part of their home décor which adds to improved range and coverage.
Digital Safety in a High-Performance Router
Unlike conventional routers, Norton Core was built specifically with security in mind to help protect connected homes. With deep packet inspection and intelligence from a global threat database, Norton Core can help fend off threats before they infiltrate a home network. Norton Core brings the benefit of speed, comprehensive Wi-Fi coverage and reliability along with these additional key product features:
- State-of-the-art Security – At the Network Level Norton Core keeps your devices and home network protected. With its network-level protection, Norton Core uses deep packet inspection to check all traffic it deems untrusted or risky, and it provides protection against possible intrusions with its intrusion detection and prevention engines.
- A Highly Secure Router From comprehensive data encryption to real-time software updates, Norton Core fundamentally changes the equation to extend protection to Wi-Fi routers.
- Smart Parental Controls Flexible, powerful tools for parents to monitor and manage screen time for each child, control time limits by device, and set content filters. The entire network can even be paused.
- Security Score Provides users with a readout on their network’s weaknesses and timely insights and advice on ways to improve their score.
- Bandwidth Optimisation Gives priority to any device or activity in the house with the touch of a button, so a movie can quickly be prioritised over a game console.
- Guest Access Create secure guest networks easily, with time limits. When time is up, users can simply extend access or let the guest network disappear.
Pricing and Availability
Norton Core is exclusively available for purchase from 14 August in New Zealand at Harvey Norman nationwide for $449.95. Purchase of Norton Core, available in Granite Grey, comes bundled with a one-year subscription to Norton Core Security Plus, which covers your connected devices at home and up to 10 desktops, laptops and mobile devices.
Norton Core Awards and Accolades
Norton Core is the recipient of several awards and recognition including:
- Wall Street Journal Best of CES 2017
- CNET All the Cool New Gadgets at CES 2017
- ZDNet Best Smart Home, IoT Products of CES 2017
- Techlicious Top Picks of CES 2017 Awards
- Tom’s Guide CES 2017 Awards, Best New Tech
- 2017 Edison Best New Product Awards™, Silver, Wireless Solutions